2014 Have a Heart Tournament Rules
Scoring and Championship Qualifications
Each Division is divided into two three-team pools. Teams will play a round-robin format with the teams from the other pool, each team playing the teams in the other pool once. The two teams in each division, regardless of pool, with the most points after the round-robin play will advance to the championship for that division.
Scoring and Tie Breakers
Games will be scored with a total of 5 points available:
* Game points: Each game win is worth 2 points, a tie is worth 1 point, and a loss is worth 0 points
* Period points: Each period win is worth 1 point, a tie is worth 0.5 points, and a loss is worth 0 points
If, after pool play games, two or more teams in a pool have an equal number of points, their position in the standings will be determined in the following order:
1) Fewest Penalty Minutes
2) Most Wins
3) Most Period Points
4) Coin toss
* Ties in the final game will result in each team competing in a best of 3 shoot out.
** A list of the shooters needs to be submitted before the game. If still tied, each team will have one player compete until a winner is determined. No player will be allowed to participate twice until all players have gone. You must remain in the player order that you started with.
1. A player will only be allowed to play for one team in a tournament.
2. Teams with one goalkeeper must find a replacement goalkeeper if the original goalkeeper is injured, sick or suspended. Teams using a replacement goalkeeper from another team in the tournament may only do so from an equal or lower division and notify the tournament committee prior to doing so.
3. To be eligible for the final game, the player’s name must appear on the team roster and she must have participated in two of her team’s round robin games.
4. Any tournament game(s) that result(s) in a forfeit, the final score will be recorded as a 1-0 victory for the non-forfeiting team and they will be awarded all 5 points available.
5. All players must wear full hockey equipment. While on the ice, all players must wear a helmet with the chin strap properly fastened under the chin. Face masks are required.
6. All games will consist of three 12-minute stop time periods, time permitting.
* In the event a team is leading by more than 6 goals with 8 minutes remaining in the third period the remainder of the game will be played under running time.
* If the goal differential should fall below 6 goals, the game will return to stop time.
7. Any player who is assessed four penalties in one game shall be ruled off the ice for the remainder of the game. A double minor penalty will be considered as two penalties.
* Fighting is not allowed! Any player fighting will be ejected from the tournament.
8. Slap shots are allowed.
9. Each team will have one 45-second time out in the final game. No time-outs during round robin play.
10. Penalties are 1:30.
11. Teams are requested to be ready to start their games 15 minutes before the designated times.
Please remember that the goal of this tournament is to raise money for charity. We all love to win, but this should be done as fairly as possible. The Have-A-Heart Committee has the final authority to review rulings as needed.